Nowadays, there seems to be an app for everything. From booking a taxi to ordering food, there’s an app for it.
So, it’s no surprise that the Uber app has been so successful. But what is it about the Uber app that makes it so popular? And how can you create apps like Uber?
In this article, we’ll discuss the features of the Uber app and provide you with a step-by-step guide on uber app development. Let’s get started!
Uber App Overview
Uber is a ridesharing app that allows users to request a ride from drivers in their area.
The app connects riders with drivers who use their cars to give rides. Riders can track the driver’s location and estimated arrival time, and payment is handled through the app.
Uber was founded in 2009 by Garrett Camp and Travis Kalanick. The app was first released in San Francisco and has since expanded to include over 600 cities worldwide. Uber has faced criticism for its surge pricing model, which increases fares during high-demand periods.
However, the company has also been praised for its innovative approach to transportation.
How does the Uber App work?
Before moving to answer how to create an app like Uber, you have to understand how uber like app works.
Riders first need to create an account and download the app to use Uber. Once you have registered, you can enter your pickup location and destination. You can also see a fair estimate and choose between UberX (a standard ride), UberPool (a shared ride), or one of the premium services (UberXL, UberBlack, etc.).
When a driver is available in your area, you’ll be able to see their name, photo, and rating. You can then request a ride by tapping the ” Request” button. The driver will receive your request and contact you to confirm the ride. Payment is handled through the app, and riders are automatically charged for their trip once it’s over.
How to Make an App Like Uber Features?
Making an app like Uber is no easy task. There are a lot of steps that need to be taken into consideration before even starting the development process. This section will outline the key steps you need to make an app with Uber app features.
Carry Out Extensive Market Research
The first step in any app development process is to conduct extensive market research. This is especially important when developing an app like Uber, as you need to make sure that there is a demand for your product.
Create a Business Model Based on the Market Demand
Once you have determined a market for your app, you need to create a model based on the demand. This will help you to choose the features of your app, as well as the business objectives.
Create a Buyer Persona and Draw a Customer Journey Map
Once you have created a business model, you need to create a buyer persona. This is a representation of your ideal customer. Once you have made this, you need to draw a customer journey map. This will outline the typical customer’s journey when using your app.
Define the Unique Selling Points of the App and Business Objectives
The next step is to define the unique selling points (USPs) and the business objectives. This will help you stand out from the competition and ensure that you can achieve your business goals.
Determine the Features Set
The next step is to determine the features set for your app. This will be based on the research you have carried out and the business model you have created. It is essential to make sure that the features of your app are aligned with the objectives of your business.
Hire an App Development Agency
Once you have determined the features of your app; you need to hire an app development agency. This is important as it will ensure that your app is appropriately developed and meets all of your expectations.
Make Necessary Updates Based on Feedback
Finally, and once your app has been released, it is essential to make necessary updates based on feedback. This will help to improve the user experience and ensure that your app remains successful.
If you follow these steps, you will be well on your way to making an app like Uber. However, it is important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all approach to app development. So, make sure that you tailor these steps to fit the specific needs of your business.
Driver Features in Apps Like Uber
When it comes to features in driver-focused apps, Uber is one of the most well-known and commonly used. Let’s take a look at some of the features that Uber offers its drivers.
Driver Verification: This is one of the important features that you’ll see in most apps like Uber. This is important for both riders and drivers, as it assures that the person driving you is who they say they are.
Trip Alerts: These are another common feature in these apps that notifies drivers when a ride has been requested and accepted to plan their route accordingly.
Push Notifications: These notifications will let drivers know when they’ve been matched with a passenger, when their ride starts, and when it’s finished.
Revenue Reports: This is an essential part of driver management. They help drivers track how much money they’re making on each trip.
Passenger Destination: This feature lets drivers see where their passengers are going before accepting the ride.
Quest Earnings: Drivers can make extra money quest earning feature. These are bonuses that riders can unlock by completing specific tasks, such as taking a certain number of trips or achieving a certain number of rides in a particular area.
Waiting Time: It is another important factor for drivers. This tells them how long they can expect to wait for a passenger after accepting a ride.
Forward Dispatch: It is another excellent feature for drivers. This allows them to get new requests for rides even when they’re already driving.
Advanced Route Building: It will enable drivers to see multiple routes and choose the best one.
Driver Destinations: Drivers can set a destination for themselves and receive fare alerts when close to their destination.
Free Cancellation Within 2 Minutes: If a driver cancels within 2 minutes of being matched with a rider, they won’t be charged a cancellation fee.
Heat Maps: These help drivers see where there’s high demand for Uber rides. This can help drivers plan their day accordingly.
These are just a few of the features that Uber offers its drivers. There are many others, and each driver may find different features more valuable than others. Overall, these features provide drivers with a lot of flexibility and control regarding their driving experience.
Passenger Features in Apps Like Uber
Since Uber’s debut in 2009, on-demand ride-sharing apps have continuously increased. These apps provide similar features, but a few specifically cater to riders.
Let’s look at some of the most popular features riders can enjoy when using these apps.
User signs up and signs in: Riders can quickly create an account with any of these apps by providing their email address or phone number. Once they have registered, they can instantly start booking rides without having to enter any additional information each time. Signing in also allows riders to track their past travels and review their driver ratings and fares.
Fare calculations: Before requesting a ride, riders can view an estimate of how much their fare will be. This calculation is based on the estimated distance and time of the ride and any surge pricing that may be in effect.
Driver tracking: Riders can see where their driver is located in real-time, which gives them a sense of assurance that their ride is on its way. In addition, riders can contact their driver directly through the app if they need to make any changes to the pick-up location or time.
Payment: Riders can pay for their rides with various credit cards, debit cards, Uber Cash, and PayPal. All of these apps also offer tip options for drivers.
Push notifications: Riders receive notifications when their driver arrives, when the ride starts, and when it ends. This ensures that riders are always kept up-to-date on their ride.
Messaging: Riders and drivers can communicate directly through the app. This allows for easy coordination between rider and driver and provides riders with a way to ask any questions about their ride.
Driver rating and review: After every ride, riders can rate their driver on a scale of 1 to 5 stars. Drivers can also leave a review of their rider, which helps other drivers decide if they want to pick up that person in the future. Reviews are an excellent way for riders and drivers to provide feedback on each other’s experiences.
Customer support: If riders have any problems with their ride, they can contact customer support for assistance. These apps have a variety of ways to get in touch with customer support, such as phone, email, and chat.
Travel history: Riders can access a record of all their past rides, including the date, time, and fare amount. This is a great way to keep track of all the rides they’ve taken using these apps.
Pick-up location: Riders can enter their pick-up location manually or use the interactive map. The map allows riders to see exactly where their driver will be picking them up from.
Ride cancellation: Riders can cancel their ride if they change their minds or something comes up. Canceling a ride is easy and can be done through the app.
Split payment: If riders travel with others, they can split the fare equally or based on each person’s share. This makes paying for rides much easier, especially if multiple people are in the group.
Interactive map: As mentioned before, the interactive map allows riders to see their pick-up and driver locations. In addition, the map can be used to find popular destinations and get directions to them.
Book for others: Riders can book a ride for someone else by providing their contact information and destination. This is a great way to help friends and family get around town without worrying about getting lost or finding a taxi.
Gamification and discounts: These apps often offer incentives like discounts and rewards for riders who take multiple rides or refer new users to the app. This encourages people to use the app more often, which in turn helps to improve the rider experience.
Voice inputs: Riders can give commands to the app using their voice. This allows them to cancel their ride or change their pick-up location without ever having to take their hands off of their steering wheel.
Waiting list: If there are no drivers available when riders request a ride, they can put themselves on the waiting list. This ensures that they will be connected with a driver as soon as one becomes available.
Panic button: Riders can press a panic button if they feel unsafe or uncomfortable during their ride. This sends a notification to customer support, taking appropriate action.
Preferred driver: Riders can choose to only ride with specific drivers. This is a great way to ensure that riders have a positive experience with their driver.
These are just some of the features that riders can expect when using apps like Uber. By understanding these features, passengers can have a smoother and more enjoyable experience when travelling.
Admin Panel for Apps Like Uber
The admin panel is an extremely important feature when it comes to taxi booking apps like Uber. This is because the admin panel allows the app’s administrators to manage various aspects of the app. Let’s discuss some of the features typically found in admin panels for taxi booking apps.
1. Customer and driver management: This includes managing customer data, such as contact information and booking history, and managing driver data, such as registration information and ratings.
2. Feedback and reviews management: This includes managing the feedback that customers have given and the reviews that drivers have received. It is important to ensure that both the customer feedback and the driver reviews are fair and accurate.
3. Location and fares management: Administrators need to manage the location of drivers and passengers and set fares for different routes. It is important to ensure that fares are set fairly and that passengers can get to their destinations without having to pay too much.
4. Booking management: Booking management is another important task that administrators need to perform. This includes managing the bookings that have been made and cancellations and refunds. It is important to make sure that all bookings are processed smoothly and that customers can get the service they need.
5. Vehicle Management: Vehicle management is an essential aspect of ride-sharing apps like Uber. Drivers need to be able to track their vehicles and update their statuses, and riders need to see the location of their ride and the estimated time of arrival.
6. Payment management: For payment management, administrators are responsible for processing payments from passengers and drivers and managing refunds. It is essential to make sure that all payments are processed quickly and efficiently and that passengers and drivers can get their money.
7. Notifications management: This includes sending out notifications to customers and drivers and managing the settings for these notifications. It is vital to ensure that all notifications are sent out on time and that customers and drivers are updated.
8. Route management: Administrators are tasked with setting the routes that drivers should take and managing traffic information. It is crucial to make sure that passengers can reach their destinations quickly and easily without going out of their way.
9. Customer Support: Customer support is an essential feature of the app’s admin panel, and it provides customer support for passengers and drivers. It also manages the support team. It is crucial to ensure that passengers and drivers can get the help they need when they need it and that customer support is always available.
10. Promotion and discount management: This includes creating promotional codes and discounts and managing their expiration dates. It is essential to make sure that passengers can get the best deals possible and that they can always save money.
11. Integration with multiple analytics tools: It is important to make sure that administrators can track the app’s performance and find ways to improve it. Integration with multiple analytics tools is another important task that administrators need to perform. This includes integrating the app with different analytics tools, such as Google Analytics and Mixpanel.
12. Content Management & FAQs: It is important to ensure that passengers and drivers have all the information they need and that all the content is up-to-date and accurate. This includes managing the content of the app and creating and managing FAQs.
These are just some of the tasks administrators need to perform to manage an app like Uber. Many different things need to be considered, and it is a very complex process. However, with the right tools and the right team. And the results can be awe-inspiring.
Technologies Required to Build an App Like Uber
The key technology used in an app like Uber is Geolocation. Any Uber-like app is wholly dependent on mapping and navigation technology. Geolocation is mainly required for:
- Identification of device’s location or passenger current location. IOS devices use the CoreLocation framework, and Android devices use Google’s Location APIs.
- To select the best routes and direction, IOS devices use the Mapkit framework, and Android devices use Google’s Location APIs.
- Google Maps are integrated into both IOS and Android apps to integrate maps for both driver and passenger. Other map services can also be integrated as an alternative.
Another technical requirement to consider is Push Notification and Messaging. This is required for in-app communication with driver and passenger and notification. From the range sent by the passenger to its acceptance by a driver or ride cancellation, there must be proper and successful in-app communication or notification for both passenger and driver. IOS apps can use Apple Push Notification Service for push notifications, and Android apps can use Firebase Cloud Messaging. For text messaging services, Twilio communication provider is a good option.
Similarly, SMS notifications are also essential to integrate since sometimes Push Notification can be unreceived when the device is offline or unavailable. By using SMS, users can be informed about the message.
Another crucial functionality to be implemented in apps like Uber is Payment System Integration. For Payment System Integration, If you are to store and handle the user credit card information, you must comply with PCI(Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards) compliance. Another option is to get payment gateway solutions from providers that ensure fully supported PCI compliance solutions, like Braintree or Stripe.
Besides integrations, you need to choose other technologies and programming languages. Swift and Kotlin can be used for IOS and Android app development accordingly. Also, you can use react-native to develop both IOS and Android apps, but you need to develop your services if they are not readily available for using the core services like location. For frontend development of a web-based admin panel, react can be used. As for the app’s backend, you can use several languages like Python, Java, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Node, js, etc. For databases, any available SQL or No SQL database can be used.
How does an Uber-like app generate revenue?
There are a few options when it comes to generating revenue:
1. Charging a commission on each ride booked through the app.
2. Offering paid upgrades, such as premium rides or added features like carpooling.
3. Charging a subscription fee for access to the app.
4. Displaying advertising within the app.
5. Selling data collected by the app to third-party businesses.
6. Offering a loyalty program that rewards users for using the app frequently.
7. Collect user feedback and use it to improve the app’s functionality.
8. Offering consulting services to businesses who want to create their Uber-like apps.
How much does it cost to develop an app like Uber?
The cost depends on development time and the number and complexity of features you want to have on your app. The price to make an app like an Uber can vary based on the following factors:
- Features and Functionality
- Your business type and Location
- Application platforms
- Technology used
- Development team capabilities, location, and rates.
Here is the approximate estimation for MVP of an app like Uber in an hour.
|Review and Rating||30||30||40|
So, how much does it cost to develop the Uber-like app? The final cost to build the app depends on the rate per person-hour. These rates may vary depending on where you outsource the project. In some parts of Western Europe or in the USA, the average rate varies between $100 and $150.
Functionality Required to Create an App Like Uber
To create an app like Uber, your app must include the following functionality:
1. Geolocation & Routing
Your app must be able to track the user’s location and provide turn-by-turn directions to their destination.
2. Payment System
Your app must include a payment system that allows users to pay for their rides.
3. User Registration & Profile
Your app must include a system for users to register and create profiles.
4. Communication & Notifications
Your app must include a system for notifying users of ride updates and changes.
5. Ride Cost Estimation
Your app must be able to estimate the cost of a ride before the user books it.
6. Booking a Ride in Advance
Your app must allow users to book rides in advance.
7. Book a Ride for Other People
Your app must allow users to book rides for other people.
8. Split a Fare
Your app must allow users to split fares with other riders.
9. UI/UX Design
Your app must have a user-friendly interface and excellent usability.
Besides Influencing the Uber-like App Development Cost,
these factors influence the cost of the development of an Uber-like app:
Features & Functionality
The cost of developing an app like Uber depends on the complexity and number of features. The more the number of features, the higher the cost will be. Adding more complex functionalities to the app, the time for development will be more, adding to the development cost. So for MVP of the app, it is better to start with a minimum set of features and functionalities and add more later in future enhancements.
Your Business Type & Its Location
Another factor influencing the cost of developing Uber-like apps is your company type. If you own a taxi company, you want an app that handles your business process. Or, if you’re going to start a startup company, you need to develop the app alongside the business itself, which influences the budget of the app.
The cost of developing Uber-like apps depends on the platform you choose to develop the application. If you want your application to be widely used, you can create the application in both – Android and IOS. If your budget is tight, you may create an MVP on either platform and later launch the app for another platform.
You can create an Uber-like app using different technology. You can either build a hybrid app that can work on both android and iOS or a native app that works on either android or iOS. A hybrid app seems to be more cost-effective but is less advantageous as the hybrid app doesn’t offer a great user experience and doesn’t allow creating an app that relies on the device’s hardware.
How to Make an App Like Uber: Our Recommendations
Creating a copy of Uber is the wrong choice. Instead, identifying the local users’ problems and implementing solutions using Uber’s business model to solve those problems will lead to a more incredible fortune.
Besides technical implementation, it is vital to consider making an Uber-like app user-friendly and attractive. Here comes UI/UX design in place. The general recommendations for design within the app are:
- User-friendly experience.
- Intuitive app flow.
- Attractive graphics and visual elements
Here is the list of recommended points to be considered while developing the Uber-like app:
- Create the application’s business model based on the market demand.
- Identify the key target users.
- What is distinct about your app? Define the USP (Unique Selling Point) of your app.
- Determine the required functionality and platform of the app that helps you scale the app and add more advanced features in the future.
- Hire experienced and capable developers or teams to develop the app.
- Always work on feedback and make necessary adjustments to the app.
Looking to create an app like Uber? Contact Wolfmatrix
Wolfmatrix is a top technology solutions company in Australia. We offer custom software development, mobile app development services, website design, web app development etc. Our team of experts has the experience and knowledge to help you create a successful app that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations.
At Wolfmatrix, we understand the importance of having a top-quality app. That’s why we use the latest technologies and tools to create an app that is both user-friendly and efficient. We also work closely with our clients to ensure that they are delighted with the result.
If you’re looking to build an app like Uber, you need a partner with the experience and expertise to make it happen. That’s where Wolfmatrix comes in. Contact us today to learn more about our services! We’ll work with you every step to make sure your app is just what you’re looking for.
Building an app like Uber is not as complex as it seems. With the correct planning and execution, your business can have a ride-sharing app that revolutionizes how customers get around.
Ready to get started? Contact our team of experts for help!
How do you create a rideshare app?
Here is a quick overview of each stage of development of the Uber-like app:
- Market Research – Conduct market research, identify the leading competitor and develop an app unlike any competitor. The USP and key to success are to develop a unique solution and not a copy of the existing solutions.
- Audience Research – Identify the core audience or user, find their main problems, and how you can solve them with your application.
- UI/UX Design – Design the best UI and UX to make the app easy for customers and drivers.
- Monetization Strategy – Making an Uber-like app is not enough; you need to identify how to make money from the app and create a comprehensive monetization strategy.
- Find Development Company – Decide where you will outsource app development. Choose the best software development company based on portfolio, successful delivery of the project, number of years in the market, communication process, and rate of development.
- Create First Version – Launch the first version of an application to the market with basic features. Go with a single version or develop iOS and Android apps based on market study.
- Test and Feedback – After the successful launch of the first version, gather customer feedback, analyze in-app user behavior using available solutions in the market, and conduct surveys and feedback.
- Plan Improvement – Analyze the collected feedback and data and use it to improve the app with several iterations.
- Continuous Development and Support – Continuously develop and improve the app and update it with market demands and requirements.
- Marketing Strategy – Start marketing activities before launching the app and continue after the app launch. It is an ongoing process that will help get new users and retain existing ones.
How long does it take to create an app like Uber?
The approximate timeline to develop the passenger app takes about 6 – 8 months for the basic version for one platform (iOS or Android). Similarly, it takes about 5 – 7 months for the basic version of a driver app for one platform.
It takes about 6 – 8 months to develop the first version of the admin panel.
How to save money on Uber-like app development?
Creating an Uber-like app is no small feat, but there are ways to reduce the cost of development. Here are a few tips:
1. Use a pre-existing platform or kit.
Several platforms and kits can help you create an Uber-like app quickly and easily. This can be a great way to save time and money on development.
2. Utilize open-source code.
Open source code is readily available online, and it can be a great way to save on development costs. However, it’s essential to ensure that the code is well-tested and reliable before using it in your app.
3. Outsource development tasks.
Outsourcing specific development tasks can be a great way to save money. This can help you spread out the cost of development over a longer period of time.
4. Use a low-cost development team.
Many affordable development teams are available, so it’s essential to shop around and find one that fits your budget.
5. Keep your design simple.
The simpler your app design, the less expensive it will be to develop. So keep things simple and streamlined to save money on your Uber-like app.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be well on your way to creating an affordable Uber-like app.
What is the Final Overall Cost of Developing an Uber-like App In Android and iOS?
The cost of planning and building an Uber app ranges from $442,000 to $621,000 (for both iOS and Android) and takes between 5 and 7 months (MVP version).
Passionate engineer who loves talking about Machine learning and ways to improve Software development practices. CEO and Director of Software Engineering of Wolfmatrix.